officials sounded the alarm ahead of Wednesday’s boys volleyball showdown for the Suffolk Division I championship after a threat to disrupt the event was uncovered, the school announced.
In an automated call to the homes of students, Northport High School Principal Irene McLaughlin said the school would send 10 extra teachers to serve as security at the playoff match.
“It has come to our attention that students from another high school that we previously played will attempt to engage our fans in an altercation,” McLaughlin said, without elaborating on the source or the school.
No. 2 seed Northport will face Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at neutral Longwood High School in Middle Island. Admission is $6.
McLaughlin said the athletic director at Longwood, as well as security chief for Section XI and Suffolk Police were alerted. Section XI Executive Director Ed Cinelli, who oversees the governing body of Suffolk high school sports, was unaware of the threat as of mid-afternoon.
But the volleyball match is still on, and McLaughlin added a note in her message to parents to temper any concern. She asked parents, “Reinforce the need for good sportsmanship and appropriate conduct at all times, including but not limited to the nature of cheering and interaction with the fans,” McLaughlin said. “We hope this message does not discourage any fans from supporting our team tonight, but we felt the information was critical for our parents to know.”
Northport Athletic Director Drew Cronin did not return a call seeking comment.
The Tigers, 16-1 overall, advanced to the championship by , on Monday.