The Asharoken Board of Trustees will present a resolution at its 7:30 p.m. Monday meeting in Village Hall, officially opposing the closure of the Northport Post Office. The resolution reads as follows:
WHEREAS, the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 designated the United States Postal Service (USPS) as an independent institution of the executive branch of the Federal Government; and
WHEREAS, the Northport Post Office located at 244 Main Street in Northport, New York was designed by the renowned Louis A. Simon and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989; and
WHEREAS the Northport Post Office serves more than 20,000 people living in the contiguous postal service area (11768) who reside in the Hamlets of Eaton’s Neck, Asharoken, Northport, Crab Meadow and Fort Salonga; and
WHEREAS, in addition to the vital services the Northport Post Office provides to the people who live and own businesses within this postal service area, the presence of this historic building on Northport’s main thoroughfare is one of the enduring symbols of national pride that binds together the people of this Village, this Town and this County; and
WHEREAS, the Asharoken Village Board wishes to join the Northport Village Board in expressing its opposition to this shortsighted plan to shutter and abandon one of Northport’s most recognizable and cherished institutions; and
WHEREBY expresses its opposition to the proposal by the United States Postal Service to sell the historic Post Office building located on Main Street in Northport Village and urging the Village’s representatives in Congress, the State Legislature and the Town of Huntington to take all necessary steps to prevent its closure or relocation from its present location and to prevent the sale of the building; and
HEREBY directs the Asharoken Village Clerk to forward certified copies of this resolution to the President of United States Barack Obama, United States Senator Charles Schumer, United States Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, United States Congressman Steve Israel, State Senator Carl L. Marcellino, State Senator John J. Flanagan, State Assemblyman Andrew P. Raia, County Legislator Dr. William Spencer, Huntington Supervisor Frank P. Petrone, Northport Village Mayor George Doll and the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the United States Postal Services, Honorable Thurgood Marshall, Jr.
Also on the meeting agenda are:
- A resolution to accept the audited Financial Statements for year-end 5/31/2012 provided by Skinnon & Faber, CPA, P.C.; the Financial Statements have been filed with the Village Clerk.
- A resolution to approve the installation of 1500 feet of snow fence in the amount of $750.00 to be installed on the north/east side of the dunes, beginning at house number #475 and ending at the north end of house number #413, installation services provided by Patrick Parker landscaping.
- Appoint the following uncompensated individual Martin Hakker as fireworks coordinator for a one year term to cover the 2013 fireworks event, subject to Board Approval.
- Appoint the following uncompensated individuals Douglas Vaughn and Michael Elsas as Environmental Review Board members for a one year term to end July of 2013.
- Present the 2013 schedule of meetings, most of which will now be on Tuesdays.