Five people were arrested on charges of selling alcohol to minors at several businesses around the Town of Huntington Friday.
The Suffolk County Second Precinct Crime Section conducted an underage alcohol sting operation of nine businesses and five were found in violation.
A volunteer, acting on behalf of the police department and younger than 21 years old, entered 14 businesses with the intent to purchase alcohol. Some the stores were chosen in response to community complaints while others were randomly selected.
Police said the following businesses failed inspection and each store representative was charged with first-degree unlawfully dealing with a child after selling alcohol to a minor:
- Kathleen Kress, 54, East Northport Beverage Company, 308 Larkfield Road, East Northport
- Hipolito Estevez, 53, Papa Ningo Deli, 1888 New York Ave., Huntington Station
- Sergio Omar Hernandez, 24, Los Compas Deli and Grocery, 161 Depot Road, Huntington Station
- Kenneth Babi, 48, West Hills Wines & Liquors, 1720 New York Ave., Huntington Station
- Andrew Lastuvka, 26, Arizona Bar and Grill, 6106 Route 25, Commack
Four were issued a field appearance ticket and scheduled to appear in First District Court in Central Islip on June 4. Hernandez was held for arraignment Saturday.
The following nine establishments refused the sale of alcohol to a minor:
- Brothers Deli, 243 Broadway, Greenlawn
- Broadway Bagelry, 223 Broadway, Greenlawn
- Superstar Beer and Soda, 516 Route 25, Huntington Station
- One Stop Market, 246 Pulaski Road, East Northport
- Huntington Gas, 341 Route 25, Huntington Station
- 24/7, 10 Walt Whitman Road, Huntington Station
- Valero Gas, 445 Route 25, Huntington Station
- Instant Replay, 282 Route 25, Huntington Station
- BP Gas, 272 Route 25, Huntington Station