The idea has been batted around for some time: a parking garage in Northport. But does the village really need one? Where would it go? Who would pay for it?
The recent walk-through by the Northport Parking Task Force found a few extra parking spaces to squeeze in along Main Street as a quick fix to the problem, but say they realize that more needs to be done. A three-tier parking garage was suggested, though it doesn't seem to be under serious consideration.
When Patch wrote about the creation of the parking task force in October, readers commented on the idea of a parking garage. Among the comments:
- "Razing the rear of the PO and retaining only the retail function might be considered"
- "Build a several story parking garage in the Scudder Ave lot."
- "A parking garage is a great idea"
- "If Northport builds a parking garage hope they charge the venders for it and not us tax payers there the ones wanting it and making the money as far as i can the parking is fine in the village just people don't want to walk far to go the farmers market up town on sat morning has plenty of parking"
- "Northport does not need a parking garage"
Do you think Northport needs a parking garage? Is the parking situation that bad? Tell us in the comments.