The screening of a new play by Alan Bennett, an intimate evening of music at Old Westbury Gardens, and the exciting Irish Tenor Paul Byrom are among the upcoming cultural events in our area this April.
New Alan Bennett play screens at Huntington’s CAC
The Cinema Arts Centre screens a new Alan Bennett play live on April 5 when Frances de la Tour takes the role of Dorothy in her third new play by Bennett at the National. "People" will be broadcast by National Theatre Live on Friday, April 5 at 7:30 p.m. to Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington. See a trailer for the play here.
- Cost: $20 CAC Members; $25 Public.
- Info: 423 Park Ave, Huntington 631-423-7610 www.CinemaArtsCentre.org. Tickets can be purchased online, www.CinemaArtsCentre.org at the box office during theater hours or by calling Brown Paper Tickets at 1-800-838-3006
Music at Westbury House
Old Westbury Gardens presents an intimate evening of music entitled "Poetica Musica: Three Kinds of Romance" on Saturday, April 6. Enjoy an evening concert with Debussy (Sonata for Cello and Piano), Arensky (Piano Trio No. 1) and Dvorak (Piano Trio, Opus 90 "Dumky".) The featured artists will be Gail Niwa, piano; Abraham Appleman, violin; and, Eugene Moye, cello. The event includes a guided tour of the majestic Westbury House at 6:45 p.m.; pre-concert talk, 7:30 p.m. followed by the concert at 8.
- Cost: $25 -$20 members, students and seniors.
- Info: Registration required, please call (516) 333-0048 Ext. 301 or register ONLINE.
Celtic Thunder’s Paul Byrom at the Landmark
The Landmark on Main Street in Port Washington has added a new show to its spring season: Paul Byrom (Celtic Thunder’s “Swanky Tenor”) will appear on April 26. The Dublin-born Byrom is hailed as Ireland’s premier young tenor.
- Cost: Premium $40; Standard $35 with $5 discounts for “Friends of Landmark.”
- Info: Tickets on sale Wednesday, March 20 for Friends of Landmark and to the General Public Thursday, March 28. The box office phone is 516-767-6444 or www.landmarkonmainstreet.org
And Tonight: Louis Armstrong Tribute
Looking for something tonight: It's family jazz night Friday at Cafe' Music at Dolphin in Port Washington: A jazz combo is joined by local children's book author and Louis Armstrong enthusiast Muriel Weinstein. Jazz Band features Bobby Katz, Miles Kurtz, Solomon Hoffman, Reed Kalash and vocalist Chis Silverberg.
- Cost: Free, but donations appreciated.
- Info: 7-8:30 p.m.; Dolphin Cafe' 299 Main Street, Port Washington. Website: http://thedolphinbookshop.com/.
About this column: "Long Island Culture" is a Patch Friday feature highlighting upcoming cultural and arts events around our region. Add yours in the comment section below and to our events calendar. You can also pitch your best offerings to Local Editor Joe Dowd at firstname.lastname@example.org.